A Very Brief History

Our church history is truly a “moving” one, in that we have had four different church homes and considerable additions along the way.

In the fall of 1902 or 1903, we began in a newly erected community building put up by volunteer labor. Our town was then called Mann’s Ford and was in a different location. The Rev. J.A. Morgan was our founding pastor and we started a “union” church and Sunday School, inviting all denominations to attend.

In 1906, we formally organized under the name “Mannford Episcopal South Church”. Lots were donated by the H.U. Bartletts and money raising was undertaken. On June 5, 1910, our first church was dedicated. T.V. Ludlow was pastor.

In 1916, a lightning-caused fire burned the church to the ground. Undaunted, we built back and the cornerstone for a second church was laid on August 24, 1917; this was our home until 1962-1963. Then came Keystone Dam and the relocation of our entire town.

Dedication services in our new church came on December 15, 1963, with William McCaskill as pastor. Our land had been donated by Bert and Clara Greenwood.

In 1968, the church name was changed to “First United Methodist Church”.

A 100’ by 32’ annex on the east side was added in 1972, when Thell Robertson was pastor. Still more changes came in 1979 and 1983.

On Sunday Morning, April 29, 1984, a tornado severely damaged 60 percent of the church, including all the children’s classrooms. Ceiling beams in the sanctuary were crushed when the roof of the children’s wing slammed down on it. Thanks to God that no one was hurt and Pastor David Cressman led us forward.

In December 1984, we moved back into the sanctuary. We then had an added 3,000 square feet of floor space in the educational wing and a 7 foot higher ceiling in the sanctuary, making a balcony possible. A beautiful stained glass window was also installed.

In 2003, we finished our fantastic Family Life Center, where we have Sunday School classes, congregational potluck suppers and other fellowship gatherings.

Our congregation continues to grow and flourish where God has planted us. We invite you to join us as we prayerfully face the future.

Blessings to All.